Saturday 9 May 2015

Angels Gate Gamay Noir 2013

The Angels Gate Gamay Noir is a wine from the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada.  This is the largest wine region in Canada. It is at the same latitude as southern France and has a unique micro-climate created by Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment which makes it a good region for growing tender fruit.

Wine:  Angels Gate Gamay Noir 2013
Location:  Beamsville, Ontario Canada
Sugar content: 4g/L
Alcohol:  13%
Price: $13.95
Vintages number: 107714

This a clear pale red wine with an aroma of sweet cherry.  The first taste is a mild, sweet berry, a flavor I enjoy in Gamay/Beaujolais wines.  Unfortunately it finishes with a slight, bitter astringency. It is similar to the finish of some of the ultra dry wines I have reviewed previously.

Apparently the astringency is caused by the tannins in the grape skins.  Some astringency is better than others and this astringency does not work for me.  Keep in mind, I am not a connoisseur and you may like it.  For more information about astringency and bitterness I will refer you to The Wine Guy blog.

Overall, I find this to be a pleasant, enjoyable wine with a slightly unsatisfactory finish. While I will probably not buy this wine again, I would drink it again if you are buying.

Recommendation:  Uncork
Rating:  7.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment